Renown New York City plastic surgeon Dr. Kenneth Rothaus delivers natural looking breasts to patients with gigantomastia or large and symptomatic breast with breast reduction surgery. A breast reduction surgery reduces and reshapes the breasts by removing excess tissue, skin and fat. This procedure can be done for both cosmetic and medical reasons as excessively large breasts can cause discomfort, skin rashes, back and shoulder pain, and other physical ailments.
While it is not a rule, we recommend a breast reduction procedure be considered only after breast development has stopped. Ongoing growth, breast-feeding and childbirth may all affect the size and shape of the breasts. A candidate for this procedure would include patients with:
- Excessively large breasts that are disproportionate to a person’s body
- Physical ailments and skin irritation caused by the weight of the breasts
- Physical restrictions on activities due to the weight and size of the breasts
- Grooves or indentations on the shoulders due to bra straps
Breast Reduction Video
Breast reductions involve 3 components:
- Repositioning of the nipple and areolar
- Reduction of the volume of the breast
- Reshaping of the skin
None of the procedures Dr. Rothaus commonly employs require separating the nipple from its underlying blood supply. Liposuction may rarely be used in conjunction with a breast reduction. There are 3 different parts to the incision during the procedure:
- An incision will always be made around the areola
- There is always a vertical incision starting at 6 o‘clock at the bottom of the areolar
- There is often a horizontal incision making an “L“ or “T“ pattern
What To Expect
Depending on the patient’s preference and the initial consultation with Dr. Rothaus, a breast reduction often results in 1-2 breast cups smaller than the original size. During the first 6 weeks after surgery Dr. Rothaus will recommend using a sports bra to support the breasts. Recovery time varies from patient to patient but most patients can resume moderate work within 7-10 days and physical activities, such as exercise, 3-4 weeks after surgery.
Redefine Your Breasts Today
Call our office today if you suffer from excessively large breasts that hinder your physical activity or if you are considering a breast reduction. This procedure will give you relief from pain and have you feeling comfortable in no time.
Plan Your Procedure
Average Procedure Time: 2-4 Hours
Procedure Recovery Location: Out-Patient